Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sick days = vacation

Recently my company was obsorbed by a larger one.
We are going through a process known as "integration"
in this " integration" they have taken away certain non essential holidays (MLK)Day
taken away, personal days and shrank the number of vacation days, particularly for those not considered in the higher corporate realm.
I have been reflecting on this.
One of my bosses made a statement about the number of "sick days" he has taken, none was his braggadocious claim.
To which I wanted to say "eat me", the "work from home" option is available to certain salaried employees and management.
So my question to him ( in my mind) was yeah but how many fuckin days did you "work from home?"
further reflection has caused me to evaluate "sick days" and what that means to the majority of poor working folk.
I distinctly remember being in employment situations that did not provide vacation days though so The survival technique became clear,You take a sick day for which you could still retain something that resembled a paycheck.
I was thinking about this because even though I work in a "better situation" I have blown through my sick days. I have actually been sick but I wonder if I suffer too from an urban survivalist blight, Residual from my artist poverty. I don't know.
What I do know though is I'm not where I was in the work world but still a far cry from "work from home."
Still in my mind the question, does sickday = vacation?

No comments: